Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design has created an initiative that fills hiatuses on the international scene, under the name Social Design Network (SDN). The project aims to facilitate the training of future’s socially aware specialists at the participating institutions.
The aim of the Social Design Network is to bring to the same platform social design-minded professionals and designers from the 11 universities participating in the initiative. The institutions share a common determination to use design as a toolkit to find solutions to the challenges of the 21st century. In working together, MOME and the other partners hope to lay the foundations for a new joint EU-funded support scheme.
"In the ever-changing and challenging times ahead, it is our professional duty to expand the fields of design and to explore new ways of working together. In times of a climate crisis, social, ecological, economic and cultural sustainability go hand in hand with innovation. Representing different and diverse goals, contexts and perspectives, the spread of social design is therefore a common cause and a key to our future," said Rector of MOME József Fülöp.
The initiative was launched in October 2020 with the support of MOME's Innovation Centre. By working with partner institutions, they intend to promote the importance of design's social responsibility not only in Europe but also overseas.
Partners of Social Design Network:
- Central Saint Martins – University of the Arts London, London, UK
- Elisava - Barcelona School of Design and Engineering, Barcelona, S
- Estonian Academy of the Arts, Tallinn, ET
- Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, IT
- Hadassah Academic College, Jerusalem, ISR
- Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, Hamburg, D
- Moholy-Nagy University of Art and Design, Budapest, HU
- Royal College of Art, London, UK
- Sint Lucas School of Art, Antwerp, B
- Universität Der Künste, Berlin, D
- Willem de Kooning Academy, Rotterdam, NL